*Although this post is sponsored by Welch’s® Frozen Fruits, all opinions are my own.
Fall weather always has me feeling all, BAKE ALL THE THINGS! There is just something about the cooler morning weather, the back to school routine, the leaves changing, it’s just ripe for me to jump in the kitchen and mix up something tasty for my little family. One thing I really love making in the fall are galettes. Ever had one? They are sort of like a pie but flat and made on a cookie sheet instead of in a pie plate. What I love best about them is that you just free form that crust around the fruity contents in the middle so everything ends up looking kinda wonky buuuut it’s supposed to look that way…it’s called rustic! Today I wanted to share with you my Gluten Free Rustic Berry Galette. This thing is sooo darn good and so darn easy to make that you will be a galette baking queen in no time!
Now, using gluten free flour for this Gluten Free Rustic Berry Galette makes for very sensitive, touchy feely crust, it tastes delicious but the dough can be tricky to work! So the key is to chill the crust (an hour minimum!), flatten to 1/4 inch (too thin and it will fall apart on you!), and use lots of extra flour for rolling! Thank goodness for the word rustic, am I right!?
For the berry component of this Gluten Free Rustic Berry Galette, I used Welch’s Antioxidant Blend of Frozen Fruit. You can find this at your local Jewel in the freezer section.
Welch’s frozen fruits are of the highest quality, so good you can eat them straight from the bag if you wish! We often have frozen fruit in our freezer because it’s a great way to get your fruits in when they are out of season. We love that we can always have a healthy treat on hand (my kids eat them frozen!) plus we have less food waste because we never have to throw anything out as nothing gets mushy or moldy!
Here is the recipe, I hope you love it as much as we do!
- For the Crust
- 1¾ cup gluten free flour blend (with xanthan gum)
- 1 tbsp evaporated cane sugar (or granulated white sugar)
- pinch of salt
- 12 tbsp cold unsalted butter but into ½ inch cubes
- ¼ cup cold water
- For the Filling
- 3 cups Welch's Frozen Fruit Antioxidant Blend
- 1 tbsp gluten free flour blend
- ⅛ c evaporated cane sugar (or granulated white sugar)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
- Place the flour, sugar, and salt into a medium bowl and mix well.
- Add the butter and cut into the flour mixture by using a pastry blender, food processor, or fork until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is pea-sized or smaller.
- Add in the water and mix well, until the dough holds together well.
- Form into a disk and cover in plastic wrap.
- Let chill for one hour in the fridge.
- After one hour, place a piece of parchment paper onto a cookie sheet and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap it, and place it on a lightly floured surface.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin and carefully roll the dough to about ¼ inch thickness. The dough circle should be about 10 inches diameter.
- In another bowl, mix together all the filling ingredients and pour into the center of the dough.
- Slowly and carefully, fold the edges up onto the berry mixture.
- Next, place dabs of butter over the top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown.
The great thing about a galette is that you can fill them with just about anything! Welch’s has three frozen fruit blends that would all make great fillings! Welch’s 48oz Blueberry Fusion, Welch’s 48oz Tropical Blend, and Welch’s 48oz Antioxidant Blend
Here is a peak at the galette before it hit the oven. Adding those dabs of butter over top helps give your fruity filling a nice sheen when it comes out of the oven! Mmm!!! How amazing does this look!
You can grab a $1.00 off Welch’s Fruit coupon HERE. The coupon runs from October 1st, 2016-November 30th, 2016. Share your favorite recipe prepared with Welch’s Frozen Fruits!
Thanks for stopping by today!