So, a reader of the bloggity blog, Carrie of the Tao of Craft (cool blog, check her out!) introduced me to another cool blog, Hip Mountain Mama and their One Small Change Challenge recently. So cool! It is such a neat idea. You blog at the first of every month about one small change you are going to make to help the environment or reduce your carbon footprint, a small change (or a big change) that you are going to make a conscious decision to follow through with for the entire month. Then, on the first day of the next month you are to blog about how your green change went and you also write about your new change for that month. Make sense? If not, just check out the rules to the challenge at One Small Change for a better explanation. Basically, you blog about your green changes from January 1st through April 22 (Earth Day!)…only 4 times really so not that hard! I’m going to start the challenge this month, today actually cause I think it is such a great idea!!!
Ok, so there are lots of things my family already does to try to make a small change in the environment like:
- Cloth diapering
- Using reusable snack bags instead of all the plastic baggies
- Using natural green cleaners to clean our home, check out my post on how to make homemade air freshener here!
- Using homemade natural deodorant, see my how-to post here!
- Using CFL light bulbs
- Buying organic whenever possible
- Turning lights off when we are not in a room
- Turning off the water when we brush our teeth or do dishes
- Using reusable grocery bags
- Using reusable produce bags, see my post here to make your own too!
- Repurposing clothing and other items
This list goes on…which makes me very happy 🙂 …but you get the point so I’ll digress!
But some things we haven’t done which we totally should and we are now going to consciously start doing them this month are:
- Add a brick to the each of the toilet tanks in our home to reduce the use of water (how easy is this one and I never even thought of it!)
- Make a mean set of cloth napkins to use in place of paper towels (I have meant to do this For-evah!)
- Bring some more green plants into our home to clean our air more (I’m awful with keeping plants alive so this will definitely be a challenge! It would be so much easier if they cried or barked at me when they needed water!!!)
Doesn’t seem too hard, does it? I’ll let you know in a month how my challenge is going but in the mean time I think you should get your bums over to One Small Change and start the challenge yourself. It’ll be a great way to help the environment, one small change at a time!!!