You guys!!! I think I am on a major orange marmalade kick right now because these cookies are not filled with my normal ‘jam thumbprint’ filling but instead that yummy sweet yet tart goodness known as Orange Marmalade! And man, are they mighty tasty! Usually I would use a seedless raspberry jam (also soooo good!) but the orange marmalade was just calling to me and it started screaming to be added so I did and…boom! Deliciousness!! Not only are these ever so tasty but they are also super cute…and look really pretty on a tray with your cuppa tea…just sayin!! (affiliate links present) These Orange Thumbprint Cookies are a breeze to make. Really. The dough comes together quickly with an electric mixer and then to make cookies of even size, scoop up the dough and roll into one-inch sized balls…I like to use this cookie scoop here! Using the back of a spoon, make an indentation in the top of the cookie for the marmalade is key to keeping that filling on top of the cookie instead of all over your cookie sheet!
Orange Marmalade Thumbprint Cookies
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup orange marmalade
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, white sugar, vanilla, and egg yolks.
- Mix in the salt and then the flour, a little bit at a time until a soft dough forms.
- Scoop up the dough and roll into 1 inch balls.
- *If dough is too soft, refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place balls 2 inches apart onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Use the back of a spoon to make a well in the center of each cookie.
- Place marmalade into a zippered plastic bag, massaging to break up the marmalade.
- Cut off the tip of one corner and fill each hole with about ½ teaspoon of marmalade..
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven set to 375 degrees until golden brown on the bottom.
- Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
To me, the best way to fill these cookies is to add the marmalade to a zippered plastic bag and zip shut. Then massage the bag a bit to loosen the marmalade up, this helps it to be less clumpy when filling in the wells. Cut off a tip of one corner and then squeeze about 1/2 teaspoon of marmalade into each well on top of each cookie. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes…or until just the bottoms of the cookies are golden brown. Then cool on a wire rack! Then enjoy with a hot cuppa tea and some The Crown on Netflix…seriously one of my favorite shows!!!
For more delicious and easy recipes and craft ideas please LIKE Smashed Peas and Carrots on Facebook or follow me on Instagram or Pinterest for more great ideas! And if you like this, you may enjoy these posts as well!