- 12 cups sliced apples (which is about 15 medium-sized apples)
- 2.5 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ⅔ cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- In a large bowl, toss apple slices with lemon juice and set aside.
- Combine water, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg and add to a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Boil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add apple slices, cover dutch oven and let return to boil, about 8 minutes.
- Cool mixture for 30 minutes and then place into freezer containers leaving about ½ inch of headspace.
- Can be frozen up to 12 months.
Ready? Let’s make some apple pie filling!
Slice up your apples first…get about 12 cups worth if you can! Toss the apples with 2 Tbsp of lemon juice and set your bowl of lovely, delicious apples aside.
In the mean time, mix together the water, sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and cornstarch in a dutch oven over medium heat and get that mixture to boil, stirring often. Once it boils, let it do so for about 2 minutes. It should look nice and frothy and light caramel colored!