Oh you guys. You have no idea how much my family loves Christmas movies. A lot!!! And not just watching Christmas movies over and over and over again but how we loooove to make the food from Christmas movies!! Love Actually? Awesome movie. Want to make the Banoffee pie mentioned? Well, you can find the recipe here. The Grinch that Stole Christmas? Another fav. We do a whole movie night read-along found here. And what is one of our absolute favorite Christmas movies of all time? Well of course, Christmas with the Kranks. It is so good! With a hilarious Tim Allen as the dad and Jaime Lee Curtis as the mom playing up the mom jeans, bad haircut, and ugly Christmas vest, it a two thumbs up kinda family movie!!!! They talk about all sorts of holiday favorite foods in this movie but the one we were always most intrigued but was Blair’s favorite Caramel Cream Pie.
In the movie, Jaime Lee’s character, Nora, is on the phone with her daughter, Blair, who is flying home for Christmas unexpectedly and is wondering if her mom will be making her favorite dessert, Caramel Cream Pie. Nora gets off the phone and says, “Well, I need 2 pounds of caramel and a jar of marshmallow creme.” as she and her husband (Tim Allen) are frantically rushing around trying to create the Christmas atmosphere in their home after weeks of the two of them deciding they would be skipping Christmas this year since their daughter would be in the Peace Corp and initially not coming home for the holidays.
Well. Challenged accepted. We NEEDED to know what this pie was and how exactly to make it and after much searching we now have this amazingly indulgent recipe that we make every year now…and now you can too!
- 2 (14 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow creme
- 1 (8 oz) container whipped topping
- 1 graham cracker crust
- To make a Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup granulate sugar
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- To make the Graham Cracker Crust:
- In a small bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter until well combined.
- Press evenly into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Refrigerate for one hour or bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool before filling.
- To Make the Caramel Cream Pie:
- First, place the unopened cans of sweetened condensed milk with the labels off into a large pot of water. (When cooked, the sweetened condensed milk turns into caramel.)
- Bring water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 3 hours, making sure the water stays above the cans.
- Carefully pull the cans out with a pair of tongs and then let them cool for 3 hours or up to one day.
- Open the cans and pour the caramel into large bowl, reserving ¼ cup.
- Fold in the marshmallow cream.
- Pour into pie shell and chill in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, top with whipped topping and drizzle the remaining ¼ cup caramel over top.
I love that this recipe really only needs 3 ingredients…sweetened condensed milk, marshmallow creme, and whipped topping. Of course you will need a graham cracker pie crust which you can either make by hand or pie pre-made at the store! To turn your sweetened condensed milk into caramel you will place the cans of sweetened condensed milk (labels off, unopened) in a large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 3 hours, making sure the water stays above the cans. Once time is up, carefully use tongs to remove the cans and let them cool for 3 hours or put to overnight. Once cool, open the cans and you will have yourself some amazing caramel!! Check it out! How cool it that? Pour both cans of caramel into a large bowl (minus 1/4 cup) and slowly fold in the marshmallow creme until well blended. Mmm…how does that look!! Pour the filling into your pie crust and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. When you are ready to eat, decorate with the whipped topping and drizzle the remaining caramel over top.
OMGoodness, I can see why this is Blair’s favorite pie!!!
Crazy good and perfect for enjoying while watching Christmas with the Kranks!!
Happy Holidays, my friends!