Looks good, right? That up there is one of my newest food crushes. Caramel. Apple. Muffins. Need I say more? They are really tasty to just say a wee bit about them. We had a fun conversation on the Smashed Peas and Carrots Fanpage on Facebook and Twitter where I asked if I should post this recipe and well, you all said a resounding ‘heck ya’…soooo you ask and you shall receive. Neat-O for social networking!
Really, all you need to do is replace this cookie with the word muffin and you’ve got something devine that you can actually eat for breakfast and feel good about. Only cause it has the word muffin in it though, not because of the caramel 😉 To be fair, it is a nice hearty muffin kinda like a raisin bran muffin minus the raisins and bran of course. Perfect for breakfast…or lunch…or dinner…or perhaps a snack? You get my drift.
Caramel Apple Muffins
Recipe type: Breads
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- ½ cup chopped dried apples
- ½ cup caramel bits
- For the Topping mix together the ingredients below:
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup oatmeal (I like to use Old-Fashioned)
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin tin, set aside.
- Next, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the egg, milk, butter and vanilla.
- Add your dry ingredients to your wet ingredients until just combined.
- Add in the apple pieces and caramel bits until well incorporated.
- Fill muffin tins about ¾ full and then sprinkle with topping.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
First up, mix together your dry ingredients…flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt…
Then, grab your wet ingredients…milk, egg, vanilla and butter…
…and mix them up until well combined, just like so!
Then, you can combine your wet ingredients and your dry ingredients together…like one happy marriage of utter yumminess.
Then, chop up your dried apples to make 1/2 cup’s worth…
And, measure out 1/2 cup of your apple bits…
Mix your apple pieces and caramel bits into your batter and fill your muffin tins about 3/4 full.
Then make your topping!
Combine your melted butter, brown sugar, oatmeal and cinnamon into one gooey mixture…resist the urge to lick your fingers 🙂
Sprinkle your topping on top of your filled muffin tins
(Now you can lick that bowl, just sayin’)
Hmm, I think we need a close-up of this goodness…
Yeah, we totally did.
Okay, now bake those beauties in your oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or so.
Ummm, seriously…so good!
Yup, another close-up was definitely needed.
Sweet rows of muffin-y goodness all lined up to get in my belly…
Hearty…and somewhat Healthy?
I like to think so…
(Hey, it has oatmeal in it so it’s a healthy muffin in my book!)