So here is what we had for dinner last night…Creamy Chicken Enchiladas. They are a favorite at our house, soooo cheesy and creamy and they taste like they are soooo bad for you but in reality they are a fairly healthy meal! Can you believe it?! Yup, you just need to use low-fat cream cheese and sour cream and a fat-free cream of chicken soup and you are all set for a deliciously healthy dinner! Woot Woot! for a healthy meal!
Creamy, cheesy goodness…SO good!
Wanna put some on your table tonight? The fam will love you for it, for realsies!!
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
Recipe type: Main Course
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chile peppers, drained
- 4 ounces (1/2 a block) of cream cheese (I like to use low-fat)
- 1 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 12 flour tortillas
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (I like the fat-free variety!)
- 1 8 ounce container of sour cream (low-fat of course!)
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese...or pepperjack if you like the spice.
- In a saute pan, heat up 2 tablespoons of butter and cook the onions and 1 tablespoon of the green chiles until the onions are translucent.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix softened cream cheese, cumin and the tablespoon of milk.
- Shred your chicken and add into the bowl along with the onion and green chile mixture.
- Place 3-4 tablespoons of the chicken mixture in the middle of each tortilla and roll up.
- Place seam side down in a greased baking pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, the rest of your green chiles and milk together.
- Pour on top of your tortillas and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and sprinkle with cheese and then bake an additional 5 minutes with the foil off the pan.
First, dice up your 1/4 cup of onion. If you already have some cooked chicken you can just place the onion into a saute pan with some butter and a tablespoon of green chiles and cook until the onions are translucent.
If you don’t already have cooked chicken, go ahead and cook your chicken up in your saute pan with a couple tablespoons of olive oil instead of butter.
I like to add in my onion and the tablespoon of green chiles when my chicken is almost completely cooked through. Then, just cook just until the onions are translucent…oh, and your chicken is cooked all the way through (yeah, that’s a for sure!)
Then, take a shot of your trusty little sidekick who is always at your feet when you are cooking up meat!
Awww, Olivia is such a hairy little begger, isn’t she!?!
Next, in a medium bowl, mix up your cream of chicken soup, sour cream, the rest of your green chiles and your milk and set aside.
Then, in another bowl, mix up your cream cheese, cumin and tablespoon of milk and…
When your chicken is all done cooking, shred it and add the chicken, onion and green chile mixture to the cream cheese mixture you just made above.
Place the rolled up tortillas seam side down in a greased baking dish.
Then, sprinkle with the 3/4 cup of shredded cheese and place back in your oven for another 5 minutes (without foil).
Now, it’s time to eat!