- 5-6 pickling cucumbers, washed and sliced
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup distilled vinegar
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1½ tsp pickling spice
- ¾ tsp dill seed
- 2 tbsp dry dill weed
- 2¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3-4 sprigs fresh dill weed
- In a large bowl, mix together water, vinegar, garlic, sugar, pickling spice, dill seed, dill weed, salt and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Whisk together until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add in all of the sliced cucumbers and mix thoroughly so that all cucumber slices are coated.
- There will be more cucumbers than vinegar solution.
- Let stand for 2-3 hours on countertop. While waiting, clean and dry 3-4 pint canning jars.
- Add 1 sprig of dill to each jar.
- When ready, pack cucumbers into each jar leaving ¼ headspace.
- Pour vinegar solution over top, seal and refrigerate.
- Ready within 7 days.
- Eat within 1 month.
Aren’t they just lovely!!
Seal those babies up by placing the lid on top and then screwing on the band.
Refrigerate for about 7 days to let the flavors blend and the cucumbers soften a bit. But really, who am I to tell you to wait THAT long. That just seems mean. I think you should try one right now, then in one hour, then in another hour…let’s see if we have the willpower to have any left in 7 days. Challenge on!
Willpower? What willpower?