Mmm, do you like mac ‘n cheese as much as I do? How about your kids? Uh hum, I thought so. Today I am finally sharing my super delish recipe for the best homemade creamy mac ‘n cheese ever (yes, I said EVER) It’s comfort food at it’s finest, really. If you follow me on good ‘ol facebook then you know this has been coming, yes folks, today is the day!
I love me some creamy mac ‘n cheese, there is just something so good about smothering noodles shaped in ways that were just meant to be a vehicle for creamy, melt-y cheese (ahhh, have I painted a pretty picture for your head yet?) Sorry blue box I find you kinda icky. This recipe is from my momma…love her so much! It is so delicious and easy and once you eat this you will never need to go buy that processed pre-packaged food stuff again. For serious.
Have at it folks!
Creamy Homemade Mac 'N Cheese
Recipe type: Main Course
- Creamy Homemade Mac 'N Cheese -Print this recipe HERE-
- 8 oz macaroni, shells, farfalle, you name it...it's all good!
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (I like sharp cheddar but any kind or a mix of cheeses will do!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil water in a medium saucepan and cook noodles to package directions, set aside.
- Warm one cup of milk in a small saucepan, add two tablespoons of cornstarch to warmed milk and stir together with a whisk.
- Then add one cup of shredded cheese to the warm milk mixture and whisk until completely melted and smooth.
- Continue whisking while allowing cheese sauce to simmer and then pour over noodles, stir until combined.
- Let the mac 'n cheese stand for a few minutes and the sauce will thicken and become nice and creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Okay, so first boil up your noodles and while they are cooking away go ahead and start your cheese sauce.
Take one cup of milk…wanna know a little secret? Of course you do! I microwave mine in a pyrex cup to help the warming process speed up. Say whaat? Yup, it totally makes this recipe super quick to make, no waiting for ice-cold milk to heat up!! My momma’s such a smarty!
Then add 2 Tbsp of corn starch to the warmed milk and whisk together. You are making a roux by doing this. A roux is basically a thickening agent for sauces that usually combines equal parts flour and fat…so this is really stretching the definition of a roux but it still does the same thing for this cheese sauce!
Pour your milk/cornstarch mixture into a small saucepan and continue warming on med-low heat.
Next add in about 1 cup of shredded cheese. I like Cheddar but I believe that most pre-packaged mac ‘n cheese that you buy at the store use American cheese. You can also use a combination of cheeses to give your mac ‘n cheese a more gourmet flavor. Good combos to try are Gruyere and Sharp Cheddar or try adding half Cheddar and half Pepper Jack for a mac ‘n cheese with a nice kick!
Add in the cheese…it should melt rather quickly.
And whisk everything together until the sauce is nice and smooth.
Yup, just like this. Can you feel the love?
Now go ahead and pour all that glorious cheese over your noodles. Mmm, hmmm this is where it all goes down.
Side note y’all! If your sauce seems a bit runny DO NOT FRET! Just let it stand for a few minutes and it should thicken up nicely. On the other hand if you make this ahead and it seems to clumpy then just add a little bit of milk and stir over low heat…easy peasy!!
Check out all that creamy deliciousness.
Now it’s time to sneak a little taste and add salt and pepper as needed…oh it’s so hard to be the cook, ah well someone’s gotta do it! 😉
Now serve up all that comfort food goodness to the ones you love…
Ugh, these pictures are killing me!
How long until dinner?
Like it? Share it!07350