I am so excited to share this recipe with you today! It is part of the Chopped At Home Challenge with Sargento! where Sargento® asked a few fabulous food bloggers to create a recipe within a particular theme using all of the secret “basket” ingredients…sounds fun, right!? Just like the tv show except in my house! Our theme was “comfort food” and our secret “basket” ingredients were Cauliflower, Cremini Mushrooms, Leeks, and Sargento® Sharp Cheddar Fine Cut. Well, as soon as I read the ingredients list my mind went straight to stuffed mushrooms because they remind me of my mom and how she used to make these for all the time when we were little. Isn’t any food you ate as a child a total comfort food?!! I created these delicious Cauliflower Leek & Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms that are not only crazy good but crazy easy to make too!
I put a healthy twist on our family’s favorite stuffed mushroom recipe by stuffing it with mashed cauliflower that is mixed with sautéed garlic and leeks. YUM! And by adding in Sargento’s Fine Cut Sharp Cheddar Cheese which is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese the flavor profile intensifies the creaminess of the mashed cauliflower.
Here is the step by step!
- 2-16 oz packages of whole cremini mushrooms
- 1 head of cauliflower, washed and cut into pieces
- ½ leek stalk, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup Sargento Fine Cut Sharp Cheddar Cheese, plus more for sprinkling on top
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place cauliflower pieces into a basket steamer within a small saucepan with lid and a small amount of water and let steam for 10 minutes.
- Carefully place steamed cauliflower into a medium size bowl and using an immersion blender or a potato masher, blend or mash the cauliflower. (You may use a few tablespoons of the steamed water if needed.)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the evoo and when hot add in the garlic and leek.
- Once softened and sautéed (about 5 minutes), place the garlic and leek into the bowl with the mashed cauliflower.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- At this point you may add ½ cup of shredded cheese into the mixture or you can omit and just sprinkle the cheese over top at the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Wash and de-stem the mushrooms and pat dry.
- Place mushroom tops, with stem-less side up into a rimmed backing dish.
- Stuff cauliflower mixture into each mushroom top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- You may sprinkle cheese over top during the last 5 minutes of baking.
Our basket of secret ingredients included Cremini mushrooms, Cauliflower, Leeks, and Sargento Fine Cut Sharp Cheddar Cheese! Along with garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and salt & pepper…you have everything you need to make my fabulously amazing Cauliflower Leek and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms. First off, wash and cut your cauliflower into pieces. Steam those pieces for 10 minutes in a basket steamer (or similar equipment!). Place steamed cauliflower into a medium sized bowl and using an immersion blender or potato masher, mash it all up! Next, sauté the leek and garlic in a small pan until soft and translucent, which will take about 5 minutes. Add sautéed garlic and leek to the mashed cauliflower, then add salt and pepper to taste and mix well. You may add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese at this time and mix well. Set aside. Then, wash and de-stem your cremini mushrooms. Pat dry and place stemless side up in to a rimmed baking dish.Stuff each mushroom with the cauliflower mixture and bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes. When there is about 5 minutes left, sprinkle with cheese over top and let melt.
Are you interested in the Chopped At Home Challenge with Sargento!
Chopped At Home Challenge Details:
Phase 1 Entry 2/2/16 at 9am – 2/29/16 at 9am
Phase 1 Vote 2/29/16 at 9am – 3/21/16 at 5pm
Submit your recipe to here for the chance to win $5,000 and a trip to New York City to compete in a televised Chopped cooking challenge for a $10,000 grand prize.
Sargento is available in 30 versatile varieties, unique blends and distinct cuts and Sargento Shredded Cheese is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese.
Sargento Shredded Cheese ranges in size from 3.25 to 3.95 ounces for a suggested retail price of $2.69 each.
Thanks for stopping by today!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.